May 28th, 2010
by Herb Lady · Filed Under: Flower Essences
Why don’t diets work – or, if they do, why do they work only for a while?
The ‘X Factor’ to dieting seems to be what’s in the mind, and especially our emotional response to food, new research has found.
Virtually every diet focuses on the food we eat, and how much of it we consume, but without really addressing the emotional reasons about why we reach out for the chocolate bar or cream cake in the first place.
As a result, researchers from the Temple’s Center for Obesity Research in Philadelphia have put together a programme that helps people recognise the triggers, and to “help you break that cycle of reaching for food every time you feel bored, or frustrated, or sad,” said programme participant Janet Williams.
She lost 17 pounds over 22 weeks, and has learnt techniques to help her keep the weight off.
One technique is the ‘conveyor belt’, where participants imagine a conveyor belt, onto which they put their emotions and watch them moving away.
Source: temple’s Center for Obesity Research. http://www.temple.edu/medicine/departments_centers/research/Center_for_Obesity_current_studies.htm#loseweight
Courtesy of What Doctors Don’t Tell You
Watching the Australian version of “The Biggest Loser” this year I was struck by how much focus the trainers both put int:
- pushing the contestants to breaking point emotionally during early training sessions
- then digging into their past to reveal when the weight started going on
- uncovering the emotions at that time
- identifying triggers
- then changing mindset
Flower essences are also an effective tool for working with your emotions.
Just some that can help in this area are:
- Monga Waratah – feelings of emptiness, looking outside for fulfillment
- Crowea – feelings of anxiety
- Mountain Devil – feelings of anger
- Tall Yellow Top – feelings of depression, isolation or lonliness
- Bottlebrush – It’s a habit
- Boab – Your learnt this response from your family
- Boronia – You can’t stop thinking about that food (obsessing)
- Five Corners – low self esteem and/or confidence
These can be ordered as single essences or in combination here. Please email me separately the essences you want in your bottle.
Copyright Linn Wiggins www.yourherbalmedicine.com