From John Hopkins Cancer Research Institute
Italics and links additional information from The Herb Lady
An effective way to battle cancer is to starve the cancer cells by not feeding it with the foods it needs to multiply.
CANCER CELLS FEED ON:
- Sugar. Avoid it.
- Sugar substitutes i.e. artificial sweeteners. These are made with Aspartame and it is harmful (it severely decreases the health of your nervous system). A better natural substitute would be Manuka honey, molasses, Stevia or Xylitol.
- Table salt has a chemical added to make it white in color. Better alternative is Bragg’s aminos or sea salt.
- Pastuerised milk causes the body to produce mucus, especially in the gastro-intestinal tract. Cancer feeds on mucus. Try raw cowsmilk, goats milk, rice milk or almond milk instead. By cutting off pastuerised milk, cancer cells are being starved.
- Cancer cells thrive in an acid environment. A meat-based diet is acidic and it is best to eat fish, and a little other meat, like chicken.
- Meat also contains livestock antibiotics, growth hormones and parasites, which are all harmful, especially to people with cancer. If you eat meat, go for organic or home grown.
- A diet made of 80% fresh vegetables and juice, whole grains, seeds, nuts and a little fruits help put the body into an alkaline environment. About 20% can be from cooked food including beans.
- Fresh vegetable juices provide live enzymes that are easily absorbed and reach down to cellular levels within 15 minutes to nourish and enhance growth of healthy cells. To obtain live enzymes for building healthy cells try and drink fresh vegetable juice (most vegetables including be an sprouts) and eat some raw vegetables 2 or 3 times a day. Enzymes are destroyed at temperatures of 104 degrees F (40 degrees C).
- Avoid coffee and black tea, which have high caffeine. Green tea is a better alternative and has cancer fighting properties.
- Water – best to drink purified Spring water, or filtered water, to avoid known toxins and heavy metals in tap water. Distilled water is acidic, avoid it.
- Meat protein is difficult to digest and requires a lot of digestive enzymes. Undigested meat remaining in the intestines becomes putrefied and leads to more toxic buildup.
- Cancer cell walls have a tough protein covering. By refraining from or eating less meat it frees more enzymes to attack the protein walls of cancer cells and allows the body’s killer cells to destroy the cancer cells.
- Some supplements build up the immune system (IP6, Flor-ssence, Essiac, anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, EFAs etc.) to enable the bodies own killer cells to destroy cancer cells.
- Other supplements like vitamin E are known to cause apoptosis, or programmed cell death, the body’s
normal method of disposing of damaged, unwanted, or unneeded cells.