March 19th, 2010
by Herb Lady · Filed Under: cancer
From the John Hopkins Medical Institute.
This information is also being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.
Dioxins (found in plastic) are highly poisonous to the cells of our bodies. Dioxin chemicals cause cancer, especially breast cancer.
Recently, Dr Edward Fujimoto, Wellness Program Manager at Castle Hospital, was on a TV program to explain this health hazard. He talked about dioxins and how bad they are for us. He said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using plastic containers.
Tips to minimise your exposure to the chemicals in plastic:
- Don’t freeze your plastic bottles with water in them as this releases dioxins from the plastic.
- No plastic containers in the freezer
- No plastic containers in the microwave – this especially applies to foods that contain fat. The combination of fat, high heat, and plastics releases dioxin into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body.
- Use tempered glass, such as Corning Ware, Pyrex or ceramic containers for heating food. You get the same results, only without the dioxin.
- Such things as TV dinners, instant noodles and soups, etc., should be removed from the container and heated in tempered glas
- Paper isn’t bad but you don’t know what is in the paper. It’s just safer to use tempered glass.
- Fast food restaurants are moving away from foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is one of the reasons.
- Plastic wrap is just as bad when placed over foods to be cooked in the microwave. As the food is nuked, the high heat causes poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the plastic wrap and drip into the food. Cover food with a paper towel instead